As auto repair experts in Youngsville, NC, we know more than most that regular car maintenance is essential. Knowing what to check every other month can increase the life of your car dramatically. With that in mind, here is our quick guide to car maintenance, all year long.
- Oil: Open up the hood of your car and look at your oil level. You should add oil if it’s necessary. If you’re noticing a dramatic drop in level, you may want to check for a leak.
- Hoses: Hoses go through a lot of wear and tear. You should replace them if they are bulging, rotten, or brittle.
- Belts: Take a look at your belt. If you notice that they are worn down, frayed, or glazed then it’s time to replace.
- Tire Pressure: Normally you can eyeball whether or not your tire pressure is low, but check it anyways. If you notice it’s low, then take it to your closest gas station and bring the pressure back up.
- Coolant or Antifreeze: Most cars have an indicator inside the car, but sometimes it isn’t reliable. Manually check to see if it’s at the right level. If it is low add some more coolant or anti-freeze. Make sure you check for leaks as well.
- Air Filter: Air filters are not checked often enough. Go ahead and take a look.
Every 3 Months
- Oil and Oil Filter: You should change your oil and oil filter about every 3,000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer. If you know that you’ve hit that before your 3 month mark, then you need to change it.
- Windshield Washer Fluid: There’s nothing worse than running out of windshield washer fluid when you need it. To make sure that your not caught without you should check to see if the level is low every 3 months. Add as necessary.
- Power Steering Fluid: Make sure you are checking to make sure your power steering fluid’s level is where it should be.
- Transmission Fluid: Check to see your transmission fluid’s level. Add more when you need it.
- Battery Terminals and Cables: Check to see if the cables and everything connected to your battery look as they should be. If they look corroded then you may have to contact a professional.
- Lights: Sometimes it can be hard to know if your light has gone off. Make time to check your headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and your license plate light are all on.
Every 6 Months
- Wiper Blades: Nothings worse than having ineffective wiper blades when you need them. Every 6 months you should check to see if they’re worn, brittle, or smeary.
- Horn: Check and see if your horn is working properly. You need your horn to alert other cars of danger. Give it a quick test and make sure it works.
- Brakes: Safe brakes are essential for your safety. You should inspect for unusual wear and tear.
- Spare Tire: Make sure it’s fully inflated and ready for an emergency. If you don’t have a spare tire, then now is the time to get one!
- Exhaust System: Your exhaust system goes through a lot. Inspect for rust, damage, or loose parts.
- Shocks: Shocks are important to keep your car from bouncing. Inspect for oil seepage and wear.
Need More Auto Repair Help?
When it comes to auto repair, at Helms Automotive, we believe that it’s so important to take part in scheduled maintenance to keep your car running smoothly. The best way to do that is by partnering with auto repair specialists that can do it right. Our expert auto repair technicians are trained to perform diagnostic and repair services on every make and model. In addition, we make sure you can get factory recommended maintenance service all year long. We are proud to partner with you to make sure your car is getting the care in needs in Youngsville, NC. If you’re ready to get started, contact us today!